Frequently Asked Questions

Can I graduate on time?
Yes – with planning, you may take coursework abroad to fulfill major, minor and general education requirements. The key is to plan ahead and meet with your academic and study abroad advisors to see how study abroad fits into your degree plan.

How much will study abroad cost?
The cost of study abroad varies widely depending on the type of program (i.e. exchange program, affiliate program, Semester In, etc.) as well as location and length of study. Budget sheets are available for each program on

Can my financial aid be used for study abroad?
It depends. Most scholarships can be used as long as you are earning credit and making progress toward your degree. You may be eligible for loans to help cover study abroad expenses if you max out on scholarships. If in doubt, check with whomever provides your scholarship. Also email if you have specific questions about your aid package.

Do my current scholarships still apply?
It is best to contact your scholarship provider to determine eligibility. Most scholarships awarded do apply to study abroad. Contact the Office of Financial Aid with any specific questions regarding your individual scholarship package.

Will my courses transfer back to Iowa State?
With careful planning, your study abroad experience will fulfill requirements. The key is to meet with your academic advisor and figure out how courses will fit for you.

Which courses can I take abroad?
Depending on the program, you may take courses to fulfill your major, minor and/or general education requirements. You may also take language courses and elective courses abroad.

When can I study abroad?
Students may study abroad at any point during their time at Iowa State. It is important for you to communicate closely with your academic advisor to determine when it fits best in your program of study.

Can I study abroad as a senior?
Yes. You will need to contact your academic advisor to waive the last-32 credit requirement (as stated on your degree audit). Each department handles this differently.

How many times can I study abroad?
There is no limit on study abroad at Iowa State. Earning credit for coursework abroad is key to staying on schedule for graduation. It is common for first-time travelers to participate in a short term study abroad program, but we have had students study abroad as many as 5 or 6 times in a mixture of short- and long-term programs. Anything from a week to an entire academic year.

Do I need to know a language?
The majority of study abroad programs do not require knowledge of a foreign language. For students who wish to learn or further a foreign language, there are a number of language programs available through the Department of World Languages and Cultures.

Do I have to be an LAS major to study on an LAS study abroad program?
No, all LAS-administered programs are open to all students regardless of major or college affiliation at Iowa State.

Am I eligible for LAS study abroad scholarships & LAS passport award if I have an LAS minor?
Only LAS majors are eligible for LAS scholarships and passport award. Check with your college for more scholarship information.

I don’t see a program in the country/region that interests me sponsored by the LAS college: can I still study abroad there?
We have hundreds of study abroad programs open to Iowa State students, administered by a number of offices on campus, covering the globe. Click here for all campus contacts.

If you are not finding a program that suits your needs, make an appointment with one of our study abroad advisors or go to the Study Abroad Center in 3224 Memorial Union and talk with a peer advisor. You may be able to direct enroll in a university abroad (as long as ISU will accept credit from that institution). A study abroad advisor can help you find that out.

May I study abroad if I am an international student?
Yes. We need to work carefully with your International Student advisor in ISSO to make sure your visa status is not adversely affected. We also recommend that you study abroad in a country different from your home country.

Will I need to get a visa?
Your study abroad advisor will be able to tell you whether or not you will need a visa for your program, based on your nationality and/or length of stay.

How can I intern abroad?
Internships are available on a number of programs (learn more details on There are also other options available outside of Iowa State programs. A wealth of information can be found on the GoinGlobal database. Contact LAS Career Services for more information.