LAS Summer Global Seminar Award
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will award tuition credit via financial aid to every LAS student (primary or secondary major) who participates in an LAS Global Seminar. The LAS Global Seminars for summer (must be taught by LAS faculty during the summer term AND for 3 ISU credits, not transfer credit) and their corresponding courses are:
- Berlin Tech(no) Cultures – Lindsay Preseau and Ritwik Banerji (Summer 2024) – GER 370 (3 or 4 credits)
- On the Road in Ireland: A Traveling Writers Workshop – Debra Marquart (Summer 2024) – ENGL 395B/595B (3 credits)
- Cathedrals of France (Paris area) – Jean-Pierre Taoutel (Summer 2024) – INTST 395B (3 credits)
- Global Leadership Study Abroad: New Zealand – (Summer 2024) – LD ST 333 (3 credits; may have 6 credit option)
- Trieste and the Meaning of Place: Italy – Christiana Langenberg and Cassy Collier (Summer 2024) – INTST 395 (3 credits)
- From Jungle to Reef: Tropical Ecology, Marine Biology, and Cultural Diversity in Belize– (Summer 2024) – Corinna Most and Andrew Somerville – BIOL 394/ANTHRO 323D (3 credits)
- Roman Italy: Building the Empire – David Hollander and Rachel Meyers (Not being offered Summer 2024) – CL ST 385 (3 credits)
Participants with LAS majors will receive an automatic $750 scholarship for registration in a LAS Global Seminar.
This is a great time to meet that general education or international perspectives requirement, or take a class abroad if you can’t afford the time or money to study abroad for a semester! Additional scholarships for study abroad are also available, so multiple scholarships may be awarded. No application is required for the $750 LAS Global Seminar awards. Please apply for your chosen LAS Global Seminar program at http://isuabroad.iastate.edu by searching by location and “Summer” as Term.
Other LAS study abroad scholarships
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Study Abroad Scholarship: may be need-based or merit-based
- LAS International Scholarship
- James V. Aanstoos and Sarah A. Rajala Endowed Study Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to students enrolled in the Department of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences with a preference to students who financially would not otherwise be able to participate in the study abroad program.
- Benzoni Family Study Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to students participating in a university study abroad program and who have financial need. Preference is given to students studying in Central America, South America, or Africa, or students participating in experiential learning.
- Trudy Huskamp and Gary Peterson Study Abroad Scholarship: Generally goes to semester or academic year study abroad participants.
- Gary L. and Margaret W. Krull International Scholarship: Gives priority to Iowa residents and Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication majors and minors.
- Gittla Murphy Study Abroad Scholarship: Gives priority to Women’s Studies majors and minors.
- Kent and Lou Ann Gerhard Sandburg International Travel Scholarship: Gives priority to students with financial need who are juniors or seniors at the time of study abroad.
- Mapleton Travel Scholarship: Gives priority to students who have NOT studied abroad from small towns or rural areas.
- Coultrap-McQuin Study Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to students participating in their first study abroad experience outside of the United States or Canada and who have a passion for civic engagement and global understanding, as determined by the administering authority. Students must be participating in a semester or academic year program and have financial need. Preference shall be given to students who intend to teach.
- Eileen Roach Bogosian Study Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to students who are participating in a full summer, semester, or academic year program, with a preference to students with financial need.
- The Robert J. Waters Memorial Scholarship: Awarded to students majoring in Political Science participating in study abroad experiences. Recipients shall have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.25, will have verified need, and will be of junior or senior class standing.
- Jordening Study Abroad and International Experience Scholarship: Awarded to students from any ISU College who wish to participate in LAS Study Abroad programs. The scholarship is available to students who have never studied abroad and have demonstrated financial need. While not required, preference will be given to students participating in opportunities in developing countries, in a semester or year-long program, and are from the State of Iowa.
Award amounts and eligibility
Awards can be between $500-$2,500. To qualify, include in your essay how you expect your study abroad, service-learning, or research abroad to impact your academic and/or professional career. Eligibility requirements include (1) Second semester freshman standing (or above) by the program start date, with a declared major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and (2) Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above (may apply as long as in good academic standing; not on probation or academic warning); 2.5 or higher GPA to be considered for merit-based awards.
Use the table below to find applicable scholarships.
|• Any students with primary and secondary majors in LAS||LAS Study Abroad Scholarships|
|• Any student with a major or minor in World Languages and Cultures||WLC Scholarships|
|• Any student with an International Studies major or minor||International Studies Scholarships|
|• Students from any major or college||Study Abroad Scholarships at Iowa State|
|• Additional scholarship opportunities||More Study Abroad Scholarships|
For questions regarding LAS Study Abroad scholarships, please contact LAS Study Abroad at firstname.lastname@example.org.