Health and Safety
All individuals traveling internationally on ISU-sponsored travel are covered by the university’s international health and safety insurance program. The plan provides coverage worldwide outside the 50 United States and the traveler’s country of residence. It is not intended for use in the 50 United States or to replace your current U.S. coverage. Please note that this coverage does not include trip cancellation or delayed baggage insurance.
Insurance & registration is required for any ISU-sponsored travel, regardless of funding source.
All undergraduate students traveling internationally on ISU-sponsored travel (e.g., student orgs, independent study, internships, research, etc.) MUST register their travel and obtain the insurance for the duration of their trip. Costs associated with insurance will appear on the traveler’s U-Bill.
ISU’s insurance policy provides coverage in a variety of areas, including:
- Medical expenses and hospitalization, up to $500,000 per insured person.
- Medical evacuation expenses, up to $500,000 per insured person, per event.
- Repatriation of remains or burial, up to $100,000 per insured person.
- Emergency Reunion benefits, up to $5,000, for a family member to travel to you if you are hospitalized for more than 72 hours, or if you are the victim of a felonious assault.
- Trip interruption benefits, up to $2,500 if you must return home early due to certain covered events.
- Up to 14 days of additional coverage is provided immediately before and after your ISU travel days for personal travel.
Additional details regarding the insurance program can be found at the Office of Risk Management website.
For questions regarding the plan, you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The safety and well-being of students, faculty and staff who are participating in Iowa State University programs abroad is of the highest importance. Students should take responsibility for their own safety and security by carefully reading the following resources for their destination prior to travel:
Local emergency numbers
Emergency services in other countries are not always reached by dialing 911 as they are in the United States. In addition, many countries have different emergency numbers for police, fire, and ambulance.
Global emergency assistance
When you register your travel with ISU, you will be enrolled in the university’s International Travel & Emergency Insurance and will have access to global 24/7 emergency assistance. On Call International provides 24/7 phone and live chat assistance to help you find a place for medical treatment, advise you in security threats, help you evacuate after a natural disaster, and more.
Security, medical or emergency claims assistance
Phone: +1 603-952-2056 (collect world wide)
1-888-226-9576 (toll free US or Canada)
24/7 live chat
ISU Risk Management Urgent Phone
If you need urgent 24/7 assistance from the university, call the Risk Management Urgent line at +001 (515) 294-7700.