In the Summer term, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will award an automatic tuition credit of $750 via financial aid to every LAS student (primary or secondary major) who participates in an LAS Global Seminar.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers a variety of scholarships to students wishing to study abroad.
Available LAS Study Abroad Scholarships:
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences General Study Abroad Scholarship: may be need-based or merit-based
- LAS International Scholarship
- James V. Aanstoos and Sarah A. Rajala Endowed Study Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to students enrolled in the Department of Geological and Atmospheric Sciences with a preference to students who financially would not otherwise be able to participate in the study abroad program.
- Benzoni Family Study Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to students participating in a university study abroad program and who have financial need. Preference is given to students studying in Central America, South America, or Africa, or students participating in experiential learning.
- Trudy Huskamp and Gary Peterson Study Abroad Scholarship: Generally goes to semester or academic year study abroad participants.
- Gary L. and Margaret W. Krull International Scholarship: Gives priority to Iowa residents and Greenlee School of Journalism and Communication majors and minors.
- Gittla Murphy Study Abroad Scholarship: Gives priority to Women’s Studies majors and minors.
- Kent and Lou Ann Gerhard Sandburg International Travel Scholarship: Gives priority to students with financial need who are juniors or seniors at the time of study abroad.
- Mapleton Travel Scholarship: Gives priority to students who have NOT studied abroad from small towns or rural areas.
- Coultrap-McQuin Study Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to students participating in their first study abroad experience outside of the United States or Canada and who have a passion for civic engagement and global understanding, as determined by the administering authority. Students must be participating in a semester or academic year program and have financial need. Preference shall be given to students who intend to teach.
- Eileen Roach Bogosian Study Abroad Scholarship: Awarded to students who are participating in a full summer, semester, or academic year program, with a preference to students with financial need.
- Jordening Study Abroad and International Experience Scholarship: Awarded to students from any ISU College who wish to participate in LAS Study Abroad programs. The scholarship is available to students who have never studied abroad and have demonstrated financial need. While not required, preference will be given to students participating in opportunities in developing countries, in a semester or year-long program, and are from the State of Iowa.
Awards can be between $500-$2,500. To qualify, include in your essay how you expect your study abroad, service-learning, or research abroad to impact your academic and/or professional career. Eligibility requirements include (1) Second semester freshman standing (or above) by the program start date, with a declared major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and (2) Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above (may apply as long as in good academic standing; not on probation or academic warning); 2.5 or higher GPA to be considered for merit-based awards.
Use the table below to find applicable scholarships.
|• Any students with primary and secondary majors in LAS||LAS Study Abroad Scholarships|
|• Any student with a major or minor in World Languages and Cultures||WLC Scholarships|
|• Any student with an International Studies major or minor||International Studies Scholarships|
|• Students from any major or college||Study Abroad Scholarships at Iowa State|
|• Additional scholarship opportunities||More Study Abroad Scholarships|
For questions regarding LAS Study Abroad scholarships, please contact LAS Study Abroad at firstname.lastname@example.org.